Sunday 26 July 2009

The Passing...

...of the Storyteller.

I was together with Zaleha Khairene Ismail in my living room (she of course on the other side of the screen) when she conveyed the sad news to the rest of the nation that Yasmin Ahmad had passed away.

Of course I do not her personally but she had been tugging the hearts of many Malaysians through her memorable works which somehow had endeared her to me like I have known her for real. Then the words she wrote sharing her feelings with visitors that came to her pages enabled us to 'feel' with her the ups and downs of Yasmin Ahmad.

As it is in life, she was not everyone cup of tea, and I disagreed with a few things coming from her but it cannot be denied that her works really opened up many Malaysian minds, especially with the controversial 'SEPET' which I would say became the benchmark of how I would rate local films for the next few years.

Living in kT denied me of catching her theatre releases but I would try my best to get my hands on the original DVD of 'Mukhsin', 'Gubra' and hopefully 'Muallaf'.

Those who had the opportunity working with her must be a lucky group of people. For them her passing would be felt much more than by us whose interraction with her were limited to her work or appearance on the screen, but all the same it a sad day.

The grey sky over kT seems to be mourning the passing of The Storyteller.

And so are we... rest in peace; Yasmin Ahmad.


Al-Fatihah.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment