Wednesday 27 July 2016

Arabian Music Memories... by an Englishman

While I was growing up in Kuala Terengganu, my mother was very strict about the time I should be back home from my afternoon activities.

Before the synchronisation of the time between the Peninsular of Malaysia with Sabah and Sarawak, the sun set around 6.30 which was the time I should be home.

While waiting for the Maghrib call of prayer, I would often listen to the radio which only had RTM on it and they would played a selection of songs with Arabian feel to it.

They were very soothing and I thought they were performed by some Arabian orchestras.

Until today that is.



It turned out the music that have been performed by Ron Goodwin and his concert orchestra. Perhaps almost the whole of relatively matured Malaysians would take the trip down memory upon listening to his performance.

The songs are labeled under "Music for an Arabian Night" and to my understanding they were originally composed by Lebanese musicians, The Rahbani Brothers.

To take a trip down memory lane just go to YouTube and key in "Ron Goodwin".

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment